Holly - Centennial, Colorado

Fruit is Powerful

I believe in the power of fruit.

Everyday after school, I always look forward to a fruity snack. Whether it’s raw or combined with other ingredients, it always brings a smile to my face. I love how you can pick a fruit depending on what mood that you are in. For example, when I’m in a good mood, I choose a bright colorful fruit like an apple or a banana. When I’m in a sour mood, oranges or tangerines are fine with me. In a sad mood, I always go for the blueberries.

When fruits are in their raw unrefined form, the full favor of the juices in the fruit rains through-out the mouth. When fruits are put together though, they seem unstoppable. The favor of an orange with an apple mixes together to form a crunchy, sour duo. Pineapple and coconut create a tropical blast!

Each individual fruit has its’ own little characteristics like people. Some are round and plump, while others are long and skinny. Others are crunchy and bold with a lot of favor, while others are timid and just kind of melt in our mouth. I remember when I was little that I would pick a type of fruit to eat depending on the fruits shape and color, for every day. One day, I would eat anything round and orange. The next, I would focus on anything that was purple.

I love how fruits seem to talk to you. One says, “ Eat me,” that appears to be right by the sink, ready for action. Another shouts, “ ignore me,” who is hiding in the back corner of the refrigerator shelve.

Fruits are world wide, coming from all four corners of the globe. It’s exciting for me when I get to taste and experience a new fruit. I get a small taste of the culture of the country from which it came from. It allows me to taste what the locals eat everyday in places like Africa or Asia. It’s also like going to that country.

My love for fruit can’t be expressed in words. This is why I believe in the power of fruit.