Rachel - Centennial, Colorado

Born in to this world feeble and abandoned. Maria was given life while her mother sacrificed her own. Her father was unknown, even by he himself. Now alone on the first day of life, naturally, all she could do was cry. Every year thousands of children are abandoned, given up, or are taken away from their parents and put up for adoption. Every year, about 150,000 children are adopted in the United States alone. Thankfully Maria was one of them.

To me knowing there are kids without a family to love and nourish them is heart wrenching. Just think about your own children, not having you to adore and care for them. Or maybe you yourself…think about having no one by your side to say “Mommies got you” or “Don’t worry daddies always here for you”. Imagine the immense pain in the child, the extreme desire for parented affection. But then comes that one golden day when god himself seems to come down and embrace the kid with warm arms. The day mom and dad come, the day love fills their heart and joy floods their face.

Adoption is giving delight to the world, a child and yourself. Knowing you did a superior thing for another human fills you will moral goodness, and bliss. You cannot fully love yourself until you feel love for another; you can’t feel love for another till you feel the love of a child.

I always ask myself, if I were to have children how many I would have. Then I say to myself “I am not going to have my own children I’m going to adopt”, because for every one child I have on my own there is another child who loses a chance at having a family. I could only whish every infant, kid and teenager, without loved ones of their own could be adopted in to a family and live happily ever after. But so far that’s still only a wish, but it helps knowing that, when I’m older, I will contribute to that wish by taking in and loving as many children as I can…maybe even owning a foster care.

I could only hope that one day adoption won’t even be necessary, for every person young or old will have a home where they are loved and cherished. Until then…adoption is the greatest choice anyone can make. That choice is a precious jewel to a child, and a beam on your face. This, I truly absolutely, believe in.