Kate - Wilmette, Illinois

32 and Under Club

I’m on my school’s swim team and we’d be the first ones to admit that none of us are going to state anytime soon but we try anyway. Winning is not on our agenda but improving and enjoying our time is. We are an extremely small, close-knit team.

One of the achievement that you can get on this team is to gain membership to the 32 and under club. To do this you must swim a 50 yard freestyle in less than 32 seconds. For some this may not seem like a big deal but some girls on my team bust their butts to swim their 50 in less than 32 seconds.

This year, one girl definitely sticks out in my mind because of how bad she really wanted to get into the 32 and under club. She had found herself unsuccessful many times before but she believed she could do it and worked really hard in practice in hopes that the next meet would be the one where she would finally reach her goal.

Then, it happened. Anyone who was at that meet could tell you that that girl wanted that 32. You could see it in her swimming, all the want, will, belief that pushed her through the water. To me that was so inspirational, at as much the achievement itself, though it was an amazing acheivement but all she had put into making that goal a reality. I mean, she put her heart and soul into that 50.

I believe in the act of believing because in believing, you can. “I believe” is a statement so powerful, one that you will never understand just how powerful it really is. We are so lucky to have this power. You can’t truly appreciate such a power until it is silenced. Beliefs have moved mountains and shaped our world into what it is today and what it will be in the future. Just look at Martin Luther King Jr. or even my fellow swimmer.