Katherine - Lexington, Ohio

Beyond The Grave

Will you be remembered when you die? When I die I wonder if someone will think of me, or remember me. If you live everyday to help someone else whether it is big or small, then you will be remembered. On the other hand, if you only live your life yourself, you will be forgotten in time. I live my life to be remembered. Can you say the same?

The soldiers in Iraq and all past wars are remembered because they made sacrifices. Some of those brave men and women made the greatest sacrifice. Those men and women will forever be memorialized in our hearts, our minds, and in that ominous field of stones. Think of the policemen who protect us everyday, the firemen who save our families and friends from burning buildings, the doctors who save our loved ones’ lives, or even the teachers who teach us to read. All of these people will be remembered for their sacrifices for others, and their influence in our lives.

It doesn’t take much to be remembered. I don’t have to save a life, teach someone to read, or save the world. The little things like holding a door open for someone, reading to a child, picking up someone’s books, making someone laugh, saying hello to someone, or smiling at a stranger, are also important. The person that I will remember is my aunt Kathy, for her ability to always make me laugh. Everyone is remembered for the big things, but it is possible to be remembered for the little things too. No one has the power to choose what they are going to be remembered for, but we all have the power to influence it. The little things make a big difference, the difference between a memory and just a passing glance.

I am not sure what will happen to me when I die, but I hope someone remembers me. I hope that I have made an impact in someone’s life, even if it is for some little thing. I have not yet saved a life or done any of those heroic things, but I have done my best and given my all to be remembered as a good and honest person. I have tried to be a person who puts other’s needs above my own. I live my life by a quote from Chris Christofferson, “Greater love hath no man than to lay down his life for a friend”. Without any question I would do that for any one of my friends.

There are so many unanswered questions that are just below the surface. If memories fade with time, then how is it possible for someone to remember someone else? Is it possible for someone to make that much of an impact, to transcend time? Will any of us be remembered if we died tomorrow? Even if memories fade, a person can still be remembered; their memory can transcend time. I will be remembered. This I believe.