Kalyn - Centennial, Colorado

“All you need is positivity!” The Spice Girls sing this in their song “Wannbe”. I consider that to be misleading because expressing anger and sadness are important to anyone’s health. Recently at the doctor’s office, the doctor had explained the damage that can be caused by “bottling” your emotions. He said that staying overly positive may cause serious depression and that releasing your emotions in a safe way can prevent this. He suggested yelling into a pillow or taking a walk to calm your emotions. After listening to him, I started to think, “If someone who is overly optimistic is in danger of having serious health problems and people who are depressed also have health problems then what is someone supposed to do to prevent either from happening?” I can to the conclusion that you have to have a mixture of positivity and negativity to keep our body balanced. This reminded me of the Chinese yin and yang, the darkness and the light are equal. In other words, the Chinese understood that opposites must coincide with each other to keep your life in balance. Harmony is then created from having this balance of good and bad, dark and light. To me, having a harmonic life is what every person should try to achieve. When I see people who are crying or yelling, I know that it is their way of showing the “dark” emotions that all human beings have. I also identify that the “light” emotions are shown when people laugh and become carefree. I am trying to accomplish having an equal amount of opposites that are represented by the Chinese yin and yang symbol. One thing that I have to do to achieve this is I have to express my anger and sadness in a healthy way instead of locking those emotions inside of me. “All you need is positivity!” “All you need is positivity!” “All you need is positivity!” Hearing that saying I know that is deceptive and I know what I truly believe in my core. I believe that in order to live a healthy, happy life you must show all emotions dark and light. So, no “all you need is positivity” is not true. Bring on the negativity!