Miranda - Westwego, Louisiana

I believe that there should not be any restrictions in the education of a child. The LEAP and Gradduate Exit Exam (GEE) should not hold back a person’s future in their education. Having a child in the fourth grade that was doing great in school and in their courses,yet not to be passed to the next grade because failing the LEAP (either by points or a section) is down right WRONG! Many children would think differently about school and their future. As from my own experience, it broke my heart deeply. In my sophmore year in high school, I had taken the GEE. I passed to the 11th grade only to find out two months later that I failed the Math portion of it and would not be able to graduate unless I pass the retest. Just knowing the that I only had one year left and to graduate made me highly upset. I felt like just dropping out of school, but I was not going to give up that quick! I took the GEE Math portion over, and three months later my results came back.My score was better than before; but it wasn’t great news for my friend Jermaine. He had taken the retake of the GEE and failed it again only by one point! By the time he received his results it was only 2 months before graduation. The next testing was in the summer. He passed all of his classes,but couldn’t graduate because of the GEE. He chose not to continue school, which not only hurted him but also his mom. I would describe the LEAP and GEE is “the grim reaper of education”, like taking the life from a child’s education. I believe that taking away the standard tests ffrom school, many children won’t give up on education. But the question is just how long will be?