Dawnielle - 80122, Colorado

True Happiness

There was a time in my life when all I ever did was search. I searched for people to make me happy, music to soothe my soul, and movies to brighten my day. I now believe that true happiness cannot be found in superficial things of this world but in the one man that gave his life for me. Bob Dylan once sang, “Don’t matter how much money you got, there’s two kinds of people: there’s saved people and there’s lost people.”

I have grown up in a Christian home all my life and I used to think that if I could only remember one more bible verse or know one more worship song, then I wouldn’t be one of the “lost people”. I thought that if I surrounded myself with crazy friends and laughter I could forget about the emptiness I truly felt. Then a few years ago, someone told me about a man that came to this Earth to die for me. He humbled himself and died a gruesome death so that one day we could be together. His name was Jesus Christ. Suddenly I let go of the rules and obligations that came along with religion. I instead, embraced the relationship that Jesus wanted to have with me. There are so many things that make me happy in the world. My friends make me happy every time I see them and my family can always make me smile. However, these are things that God has blessed me with, and even with dozens and dozens of friends and tons of family I still wouldn’t be as full as I am with Jesus. It was when I stopped searching that I truly became happy and complete. I believe that I searched for years trying to become happy in the world’s eyes when the one thing that could truly make me happy was waiting for me all along.

Since I found my meaning and purpose of life, I still have my share of struggles and trials but I have them knowing that Jesus, my best friend, will always be there, holding my hand along the way. So when someone asks me what I believe I can answer with one simple sentence: I believe that my happiness comes from Jesus Christ.