Ramses - San Antonio, Texas

Believe In What You Will

Believing in what you want is a freedom that no one has the right to take from you. I believe that we spend too much time dwelling on the inconsequential. As an example of this I believe that I have already spent so much time thinking about the title of this essay that I almost forgot the purpose behind my words. Usually I can see both sides of an issue without being biased and that has allowed me to take a stance of neutrality on just about every debatable topic. But I don’t like to waste my time arguing with other people about things that may or may not have an effect on our lives because I understand that different people believe different things. Those who try to challenge people’s beliefs and who desperately try to imprint their beliefs on others are the ones who cause problems. I have always believed that violence is for those who can’t handle diction and desperately need to express their point. Maybe I’m being naïve because I’m only 16 years old, but I’ve just begun to see the real world and I’m sure that as time passes my beliefs will change. They have to. I’ve never met someone who got it right the first time.

Life is not long enough for one person to find all the answers no matter how hard they try. A great deal of time is spent on much pointless debate. I wouldn’t call myself a fatalist because I like the idea of being in control of my own life, but I do believe that at times, no matter how hard we try, we are not in control. Those who try to control every situation mess things up for everyone else.

As I look at the world around me I can’t help but wonder why there still exists religious conflicts in the world. When will people realize that a religion is simply a path? And that path will take us all to the same place in the end. So don’t fight. I know that this sounds extremely idealistic and maybe it is, but it can be achieved. To take a life over religion is an ironic and retarding evil in itself. It amazes me that people think that their lord would want them to kill in his or her name. Sure we can preach, but it is not our job to punish, it is our job to forgive and accept. No one can ever prove another person wrong or right in this matter so just live and let live. Life is a gift and no one has the right to take that away. It isn’t that religion shouldn’t ever be taken seriously. There are things in this world that do require serious thought and action. But people why fuss over the menial, the inconsequential, the downright silly!