Rachel - 8085, Colorado
Themes: golden rule

“Treat others as you would want to be treated.” This deceptively simple statement has been taught for ages to small children as words to live by. I know that is was ingrained into my conscience at a young age. Despite its over-use and clichéd nature, this philosophy has finally begun to have a profound impact on my life in the last few years, shaping my relationships and everyday interactions. I believe that everyone deserves to be treated kindly, and with compassion. When people are treated well, I think they will share the love, not just with the person who is kind, but with other people in their lives as well. Even if the kindness only moves forward to a few people, I think that it is definitely worth it, and makes our world a better place. This value has helped to form lasting friendships throughout my life. By holding true to the belief that it is wrong to act malicious, petty, or untruthfully towards others, I have found that it is easier to make friends, and keep them. Treating people with kindness leaves me with a good feeling. When I know what it is like to be treated with kindness, I want to share that feeling with others, and hopefully inspire them to do the same. A feeling of guilt or wrongdoing unfailingly surfaces in me when I don’t live up to this value, and treat someone with rudeness or sarcasm. Although I have been told this rule to live by over and over again as a child, I am only now beginning to discover the true meaning of interacting well with others. When I was little I didn’t think about treating everyone with fairness or compassion, but I now know that it is of the utmost importance for forming lasting relationships. When meeting new people, I usually feel a little nervous. However, my feelings of apprehension or excitement don’t affect my desire to act kindly towards any new acquaintance. It is my belief that treating others as you would want to be treated is a philosophy for the ages, and I hope that staying true to this belief in my everyday life will allow me to achieve my goals with confidence and lasting friendships.