Ally - Centerville, Ohio

Ally Miles

Mrs. Willett

American Literature

15 November 2007

I Believe in the Power of Music

My parents have always been big concert people. My mom says that when she would go to concerts when she was pregnant with me I would move and flip around like crazy. My whole life my parents have had a small group of friends that come over once a week and play music. My dad plays the guitar and his friends play other instruments. Even when I was a baby I would be standing in the middle dancing around and singing with them. Music has always been a huge part of my life, which is probably the reason I appreciate it so much now. I think its amazing how listening to music has the power to change the way you feel.

Certain songs, certain beats, certain lyrics all have the power to change feelings and moods. For example, my sister and I listen to fast upbeat tunes on the way to swim practice to pump us up. I have happy sing-a-long songs on a CD for my friends and me on Friday nights. I also have songs that are slow and sad I like to hear when I’m about to just break down. Somehow these songs have the power to cheer me up. There are also those songs that just help to clear my head when I’ve had a rough day. They calm me down and soothe my mind. It’s almost hard to explain the feeling that comes with listening to a favorite tune. It’s like butterflies in your stomach, happy and excited all at the same time.

I seriously doubt I am the only one who feels this way about my music. People all around the world have been making and listening to music for centuries. There are so many different kinds of music, from country to rap and from blues to rock. There’s something out there for everyone to enjoy. There are so many instruments that create so many different beats and sounds. All cultures play and listen to their own rhythm that fits their style.

I believe in the power of music because it touches lives of all people. People of all ages, all cultures, all over the globe. It has for so many years and each generation creates new types of music, new sounds to enjoy. Music affects everyone, that is why I believe in its power.