Lyndsey - Dayton, Ohio

I rather not say who I’m talking about in this story, but that this person is very close to me.

It was about two years ago when my family went through hard times. Not just of what this person was doing to there self, but also of how the person made the people who care about them the most feel inside. This person believed that my family deserved better, that we would be better off with out this person there.

After this person’s mother died they could never just let it go, every year around their Mom’s birthday they would go into depression where they would just sleep for days. That’s when the problem started to happen. Alcohol became this person’s friend. From then on it just became a daily routine. This person wouldn’t do it in front of us, but in the car or somewhere else so that we wouldn’t find out about this problem developing.

Eventually I took a role as an adult, making sure my sister was okay. It was a very hard role to fill. Acting like nothing was wrong in front of her when I knew about a million things were wrong and all I wanted to do was break down and cry. But we stood strong together tried to get our minds off of it by going out with friends and just getting away from the problem. Even though that seemed like a great plan at the time, it wasn’t mostly because that person needed our help the most, for us to comfort them.

At times it seemed like everything was getting better but after a week or so of no alcohol at all, it was like an addiction this person had to have. After awhile you never knew if you could trust this person.

After a year or so of this I couldn’t keep it in any longer and I felt like I needed to tell someone I could trust with anything. Who could be better to tell then my best friend? I finally built up the courage to tell this person and got a chance to let it all out and let me tell you it felt great. I am so grateful for a person like this to be my best friend.

It was the final straw when this person ended up in the hospital and needed their stomach pumped. This person finally realized that it was not only hurting themselves but also their family. After a year of trying to rehabilitate this person we gave up and decided to send this person to a rehab facility for about a week of no family or friends. When arriving home from the facility it was probably the greatest feeling to see this person just because the fact that they were trying to change and become someone better. This person started to take classes about alcoholics about three times a week and eventually started to do something with their life.

It has been about two years now and this person has not touched any alcohol at all. I am so ridiculously proud of this person. This is why I believe in forgiveness. I have forgiven and forgotten about all the bad times my family has been through, but I am looking forward to the new start and good times to come along.