Going the Extra Mile

Jessica - Johnstown, Ohio

I believe in taking life a few steps farther, not because I have to but because I want to. As a child my parents inspired me to care and to reach out to people, whether they were less fortunate or just having a bad day. I believe if someone is having a bad day something like a smile or a small gift can make a difference.

My shift at Bob Evans was almost over; however, two women got seated in my section right before I was to go home. I rolled my eyes and sighed. Apparently, the ladies were a mother and daughter pair. I assumed the daughter was treating her mother early for Mother’s Day.

The mother was about seventy-five with gray hair and worn out clothes, that were stained but she was sweet as could be. The daughter was about thirty-five with short brown hair. Her clothes were stylish and clean. I asked the mother if she lived nearby because she looked familiar. The elderly woman explained that she lived in the trailer park in town, but I still couldn’t place her. She started talking about how lonely she was. Her husband, which she loved dearly, had passed away years ago. I felt tears come to my eyes as she continued.

Her daughter tried nudging her to hurry up with the conversation because she felt like her mother was bothering me. The daughter seemed annoyed. I looked back at the elderly woman and smiled then I pulled up a chair and sat beside her to show her that I didn’t mind taking time to listen to her. She insisted that I visit her someday, because she lived alone and loved having company.

Before I knew it, the ladies were finished eating and ready to go. Both women gave me hugs before they left. The older woman even gave me a kiss on the cheek. I felt like they weren’t just customers, they were family.

The next day, I was busy traveling for family gatherings because it was Mother’s Day. As I was driving through town, I stopped at Kroger’s to purchase some beautiful pink roses. I was planning to go to my aunt’s for lunch; however, I first stopped at the home of the elderly lady whom I had served the day before.

I rang the doorbell; there were a million butterflies in my stomach. When the door opened and she realized it was me standing there with flowers, she seemed surprised. As she leaned forward and gave me a hug, I explained that I didn’t want anything in return. I wished her a much deserved happy Mother’s Day. When she thanked me, I saw tears fall from her deep brown eyes. It made me feel good that I made her day special. I believe it doesn’t take much on our part, just a simple act of human kindness to make a huge difference in the life of another person. This I believe