Mitch - Greenwood Vlg., Colorado
Themes: courage, sports

I believe in risks:

Every summer my family goes to Texas to go and visit my relatives that live there. While we are in Texas, we always go to a place called New Braunfels to go tubing. Every year, for the past three or four summers, I have been hesitant to go down the water chute that starts off the journey of tubing.

It all started when I was about seven or eight years old. I thought that I was an expert at the whole tubing thing, and thought that I didn’t need a tube to go down the water chute. So I ended up not using any sort of flotation device. At the end of the water chute, the water is pretty violent like rapids are. When I met the end, instead of just gliding on top of the water like the people on tubes, I was forced under the current.

Luckily, there indeed were lifeguards all over the place and I was rescued from the raging waters. After that incident I was so paranoid the rest of the day thinking that I was going to drown, and that there wouldn’t be a lifeguard to save me. All I did was sit back lazily on the tube and watch my siblings playing in the water very joyfully.

Then one year when I was about 11 I decided that I was not going to worry about falling under the current again. I knew that there might be a possibility of this happening, but I knew I had to get over the anxiety of this stupid little thing that was holding me back from having a really cool time with my family. As it turned out, after I went down I was having second thoughts of this rash decision I had made, but even with my doubts I made it through without being sucked under the water.

As it turned out, I think that this choice to risk overcoming my fear was the right one instead of whining and complaining about going down a water chute.

My point is that if anyone anywhere is afraid of something no matter how big or small the issue, they should at least make an attempt to overcome it. Not letting it control the way that they live and make them fear it for the rest of their lives. I mean if risks weren’t taken, what would there be to challenge you in life?