Morgan - Centennial, Colorado
Themes: carpe diem

What is your idea of life? How are you living it? Are you living it to the fullest, or are you just giving up? I believe in living life to the fullest in all aspects. I’m just like any other kid you will see on the street except for one fact; I’m a type 1 diabetic. Of course, I’m not the only one out there, but this makes me different from other kids. I can’t eat certain things, I have to inject insulin every hour, and sometimes I can’t participate in certain events. Have you ever seen someone lie around all day and do nothing because they think a part of them is missing? Well, that is certainly not me. I am an accomplished swimmer, and I make good grades. I have a good life, and I take care of myself. Just because I have diabetes doesn’t mean that I am missing something. It does not prohibit me from living my life to become the best that it can be. Wherever or whatever I’m doing, I sometimes have to stop and take care of stuff that I cannot avoid. Does that stop me from being an athlete, a student, or a friend? Absolutely not! I don’t let my disease stop me from being who I want to be, or stop me from doing what I want to do. When you find something wrong with yourself, that one thing just leads to another obstacle, and another, and another. Pretty soon, the obstacles and thoughts that you think about yourself are piled up around you, and you can’t get around them. That is when I needed a support in my life. I’ve broken down and cried, but there was always someone there that comforted me and told me to cheer up because I had a good outlook on life. I won’t let this get in the way of my way of living. Doing my best is important to me. Whether it’s my performance, grades, or just being a good friend, I don’t want to let others down. I especially don’t want to give up because of my diabetes. There are people out there that are developing new technology for diabetics. This makes my life easier, and I’m thankful for that. However, even with this new technology, I can’t escape from what I have to deal with. Where I’m different is where I won’t let my disease deter me from fulfilling my life. This I believe. I believe in living life to the fullest; to do that I need to accept who I am, and I also need to know that there are people out there that are willing to help.