John - Centennial, Colorado

Real love is the most wonderful and beautiful thing any person can experience. Most teenagers do not even know the meaning of love; cheating on each other, fifteen-year-old pregnancies, using the powerful phrase, etc. Many people do not understand the importance of the word “love”.

Love is a more potent sentiment than a simple liking for another. Unrequited love refers to those feelings of love which are not repeated. Interpersonal love is most closely associated with interpersonal relationships. Such love might exist between family members, friends, and couples.

Some feelings that are often associated with interpersonal love are affection, attachment, altruism, reciprocation, commitment, friendship, kinship, passion, physical intimacy, and self-interest. There are certain types of love.

There is the simple “liking” of someone, which sadly most teenagers experience during their middle/high school years. There’s the empty love, which many married couples experience. Infatuation love is also a common form of love. It involves only passion, not a bad love, but not as fulfilling. Romantic, companionate, and fatuous love are combinations. Romantic love is the involvement of passion and intimacy. Companionate love is intimacy and commitment, although falling through as a bearable relationship, is lacking the passion love needs to exist. Fatuous love is very pleasant. It is passion and commitment, which is wonderful, for to be able to experience love without intimacy (with intimacy being a problem for our younger group of lovers). Consummate love is the ultimate love though. It involves all three ‘ingredients’ for love: intimacy, passion, and commitment. It is the most perfect, enjoyable relationship that can ever occur.

So, my story is sad and tragic. On October 20, 2006, my heart was ripped out, stabbed again and again, and shoved back in. On Friday October 13, a week before (ironically Friday the 13th), one of my friends was lost and desperate. She, without thought, got one of her friends to ask me if I were willing to date her. Me, being the confused teenager, the never-ever-expected-to-be-asked-out-by-this-girl teenager, hesitated. I shakily answered yes, slowly filling with warmth inside.

Later, before the football game tomorrow I tried, unsuccessfully, to be confident. I talked to her, and was surprised she was just as shy about the subject as I was. I had known her since 2nd grade.

I was very jovial the next day, knowing she would be with me. I saw a 9th grader hanging out with her. I smiled wide, and ran over to join them. But then, the 9th grader picked her up by the waist, and kissed her. I couldn’t believe it. I immediately ran out of sight. The two of us did not converse until the end of December.

I didn’t think I’d get over it. But we did! It was amazing! We’ve been friends ever since.

So love will always be there, whether it’s with your partner in life, your family, or just the enjoyment of something. I hope everyone will figure it out.