Somewhere Beyond Main Street

Erin - Westminster, South Carolina
Themes: pleasure

All my life I’ve lived in Westminster, South Carolina. I’ve loved the small town charm, the hospitality of Oconee and Westminster’s history. It’s all I’ve ever known. I can’t help but to think I was meant to be anywhere but here in this mediocre town.

When the option of change is placed before me, I never pass up the chance. I can’t stand being in a place for more than five minutes; it drives me crazy. I think I’ve always had the heart of a gypsy, even if I’ve never been further than Tennessee.

When the other little girls my age were playing princess, I was dreaming of New York, the city that never sleeps. I’d imagine I was standing in the middle of Times Square, waiting for the light to change for me to cross the street. Then suddenly I’d wake back up to reality. To a bland life where taxis don’t exist and it’s a ghost town by nine o’clock. Don’t get me wrong; my roots are beyond compare, but I’m ready for my wings to sprout and take me where my heart desires.

My efforts to plan a family vacation have failed because of my family’s disgust with riding in the car for more than three hours. We’re lucky if we make it past the first ten minutes without mom becoming distressed over traffic and daddy’s frustration with her infamous, “Ronnie watch out.” Me, on the other hand, just give me a map, the keys to a car, a full tank of gas, and I’m ready to run.

I’m not sure who I got this spontaneous spirit from. I think it was my grandma who lived every day like it was her last. She and I would sneak off to Georgia without my parents knowing, to play the lottery. It was our own little adventure every Wednesday. Soon our adventures came to an end when she passed away. After that when the clock struck 1:30 on Wednesday I would hope it was all just a bad dream and she would pull up at my school to sign me out to go on our secret trip, but she didn’t. Since then I’ve been trapped in these four walls looking out my window at a world I cannot yet explore.

It’s not just the city I long to see. I want to see, smell, and taste the whole world. When my chance comes I’ll embark on my journey to the extremities of the earth, because I believe I was mean to be somewhere beyond Main Street.