Al - USA
Themes: sports

I don’t play soccer because my parents make me or so I can fit in. I play the sport because I love it. Whenever I am around soccer I don’t think about anything else. If I was playing soccer, I could be wanted by the police and it wouldn’t get to me. Soccer is literally a drug to me; whenever I am deprived of it I crave it. Like a smoker and cigarettes. Like a fat kid and food I can never take my mind off it.

The experiences I have had because of soccer are some of my greatest memories. I’ve traveled to many places and met a lot of people because of playing and watching soccer. From going to Germany to watch the world cup to winning my own championship in state cup, they’re the best times of my life.

No matter black or white, girl or guy, when people get together to play soccer they forget their problems and differences. For the 2006 World Cup, Angola stopped fighting a civil war so they could unite and send a team to the tournament. Soccer doesn’t just unify people; it also brings emotion to everyone around it. Emotions like happiness because of a win, or sadness because of a loss. As much as I believe the fact that the only way you can win is if you score more than your opponent, I believe that soccer is a part of me like my own eyes and ears.