james - Dayton, Ohio

I Believe

My life changed many times due to helpful actions by various individual’s heart felt actions. I believe that they should receive “thanks for caring” from the person they helped to conform that they did the right thing, but also emphasizes the effect on the person receiving the help.

My eight grade English teacher profoundly affected my life, and I sincerely wish that I could thank her now. I moved to Centerville a few weeks before school started my eighth grade year. It was morning of the first day of school, and things, were already looking bleak. To begin with, I had to chase after the school bus for a few blocks, only to find out that the bus driver was running late and was forced to wait forty minutes before I was picked up. When I finally arrived at the middle school we were all herded into the cafeteria to listen to the speaker announce the advisor and unit each student was assigned to. I miss understood what unit was said, so I spent most of advisory trying to find where I was supposed to go. By the time I straighten that out it was time for first period. After such a fiasco, I just wanted to get the day over with and go home to the comfort of my bed and pillow. That slowly dissipated with time, when I to knew my teachers better, but my shy personality still dominated. Most teachers respected that and left me alone to do my work, all except for my English teacher. My English teacher constantly tried to help me participate and become part of the class. Naturally, it took her most of the year to motivate me to participate more in class. She greatly impacted my school and social life by helping my shyness. She saw the students as individuals and paid attention to the problems they were having, and then addressed them, always trying to make it the most optimal learning environment. I really regret not thanking her in person for helping me break out of my shell in school. I have come to the realization of how much it has changed me for the better.

I believe it is important to thank someone for there kindness. It helps show the importance of the action in the eyes of the beholder.