Ashley - Dayton, Ohio

Have you ever heard, “Moms are always right?” Well, I have, and I believe it.

When I was younger things that seemed to be a big deal now seem insignificant. Growing up I sometimes challenged my mom’s advice, whether it had to do with what to wear, my general well being, or who to hang out with.

Throughout elementary school I would go to extremes to look fashionable. It would be 32 degrees outside and my mom would say, “Ashley, you need to wear a coat, you’re gonna get pneumonia.” I was 10 years old and my idea of being fashionable didn’t involve coats. I would promise her over and over again that I would be fine. I never caught pneumonia but I did get sick multiple times before I realized my mom was right.

Although I didn’t listen to my mom, she still cared for me when I was sick. She brought me chicken noodle soup, Tylenol, and Vick’s for my chest and under my nose. I was not sure about any of these remedies, as the Vick’s burned my nostrils and the Tylenol was tough to get down, but in the end I felt much better and mom was right again.

Even though my mom had been right in other areas of my life, when it came to my friends I knew she was wrong. They were my friends and who knew them better than me? One year, I met what I thought was a great girl. We hung out all the time and we became good friends. That is why I did not appreciate it when my mom told me she was not genuine, a “mooch”, and a bit off. I told my mom that she was wrong and did not know her as well as I did. My mom agreed she did not know her as well but felt her instincts were right. As time went on my friend’s true character showed through little by little. I thought I was being a good friend by buying her lunch and various other things. But the friendship reciprocity was not there and I began to feel used. Our friendship eventually deteriorated to nothing because something was off about her as my mom so nicely put it. Looking back my mom’s instincts were dead on and now I value her opinion on my friends much more.

Now my fashion sense is reasonable and I go with my gut instinct when meeting new people. I take the advice my mom had given me all those years ago and apply it to my life. I now love the smell of Vick’s and don’t mind how big and ugly the coat is as long as it keeps me warm.