Anagha - Shrewsbury, Massachusetts

I believe even if you have someone who lives far away, they will still be close to you in your heart.

I believe in my grandpa.

He is my life. My grandpa is a doctor in India who takes care of many patients there. My grandpa makes his own medicines. They taste like sugar candies but work like magic. That must be why people go to him when they sprain their legs or have an illness instead of to the hospital!

My grandpa is athletic too. He taught me how to swim. I love to swim with my grandpa when he visits. If I hadn’t learned how to swim, I don’t know how I would have had fun in the pool with my friends. I had once been so frightened by the water. When I was still learning how to swim, my grandpa would hold onto me until I felt confident. I still remember that day as if it just happened yesterday! Now that I know how to swim, my grandpa is teaching my brother!

Oh! That’s not all my awesome friend-for that’s who my grandpa is to me-did. He taught me how to play chess. My grandpa is brilliant at playing chess. At first I didn’t know how to play. But when my grandpa came to visit me, he made learning to play chess easy. Now I play whenever I have spare time. The good thing about my grandpa is whenever I make a mistake playing chess, he treats me kindly and helps me. He is someone I can trust.

My grandpa is very important in my life. If he hadn’t opened all the doors, I wouldn’t have been a good chess player, been able to swim fearlessly or learn the mysteries of Eastern medicines! My grandpa is the best friend I’ve ever had.

I believe in my grandpa.

So even if a loved one lives some place else, whether it’s in the state or half way around the world, they can still be close to you in your heart in some way.