Catherine - Shrewsbury, Massachusetts

Catherine Zhang, 10 years old

Sherwood Middle School

Shrewsbury, MA

Ms. Smith

I believe that every person should have at least one good friend that she can trust.

In life, you do not always do the right thing or be the most perfect person. You need someone to help you get through the hardest, toughest times. I believe that if every person had at least one friend to turn to anytime, the world would be a better place. When I was 7 years old, I used to think that friends were just people you would play with and talk to but now I realize I was wrong. A good friend to me is a key to opening a chest of so many new opportunities.

My friends always listen when I blabber about all my problems and they make me feel so much better. It seems as if they put me in front of themselves so I put them in front of me. Friendship makes you realize that as an individual, you are important to at least a few people. My mom and dad always told me that if a person is your true friend, no matter how hard times are for you or them, they’ll always stick by your side. I may not be able to thank my friends enough but they continue to help me and stay by my side. When you have people who care about you and listen to you, you begin to admire them and try to be like them.

When I was going through hard times with a friend, my two friends helped me through. Without them I still might be fighting it out with her. You see my problem started, when my friend and I were in class together, she would ignore me. I was just another piece of dirt. But out of school, at our activities, she acted as if I was her best friend. Friend or not? I couldn’t tell. But a year later, she began calling me a maggot. I couldn’t believe that the girl I used to think was nice to me out of school was calling me a decomposer. Those two friends helped me get through so many of my problems and without them, I don’t know if I can even imagine how much misery there would be in my life. When my ex-friend would say mean things, my other two friends reassured me that she was just teasing me and none of it was true. Imagine a day without seeing your friends: no laughter, no happiness, and no point of going through another day without those people that care and listen to you. If my friends were gone for even a day, I don’t know if I could live for 24 measly hours.

Without my friends, I don’t know if I could try to get through my hardest times. Friends don’t just allow you to have fun and play,s but they also to talk about your troubles. I believe that having a good friend can make a difference in your life.