Daksha - schenectady, New York

I believe in the power of the self; the power that comes from deep within you, and only you. Those words that you sand by even if you are the only one standing

I have found that people are often hesitant to take credit for something they have done well. “It is not really that good” or “I couldn’t have done it without the help of so and so.” These responses spill out so fast one would think they came up with them in advance, anticipating a compliment and readying themselves to deflect it. This baffles me. When I do something well I am proud, not ever ready to diminish my efforts.

I believe this comes from society’s strong hatred of the ego and its mistaken presumption that an ego is necessarily a bad quality. There is nothing wrong with being proud of your efforts and stating that they were the efforts of you and you alone. Alone seems to be the word that scares people; they do not want to be standing by themselves if some flaw is found in their work. But if we do not believe in our own words unconditionally, then who will? We have to stop being afraid of being on top; stop preferring to share our glory among undeserving parties, and claim our words. No mater how much help you received, the words ultimately came from within you; there is nothing wrong in saying “Hey, I wrote this, and it is great.”