I Believe in the Right Stuff

Jonathan M. - Virginia Beach, Virginia
Themes: hope, work

I believe that some people really do have the right stuff.

My boss has the right stuff.

He believes that things will work out regardless of how bad the situations look.

One of his principals is to exhaust every possible resource for solutions. If one track fails he finds one alternative after another, and another and another – and when all the alternatives have been exhausted and we have still failed – he is still optimistic that something new and unexpected will surface to solve the problem. He waits patiently with expectation of – a miracle!

And so far… the miracles have always arrived.

Does his optimism and faith actually create something new; something that didn’t exist before, that solved our problem? Does his attitude that presumes success and expects success create an invisible or spiritual energy that manifests into a solution?

From my vantage point – I would say: yes, it does.

I have been there with him every time we reached the point where everyone except him and me had given up. I had the easy job – listen to his guidance, and carry out the next crazy idea that might possibly solve the problem. He energized me to persist and rally others.

In the shroud of activity that clouded our vision from the fact that we were working to solve something that was impossible to solve; we pressed on. Blind to the fact that our efforts were likely in be in vain, we persisted, yet again, down the path that is frequently referred to as “blind faith.” I may not have believed, and my team members may not have believed, but my boss believed; so we did our jobs with passion and determination.

It was his belief, not our effort that caused the successes to materialize.

We know what our jobs look like and we are intimate with the sleepless nights, and the blood sweat and tears that go along with our roles to execute the next strategy. But I do not know what it feels like to have my boss’s job – the job of “believer.”

I am close enough to my boss to know that “believers” are human. They do worry about the next payroll. They do worry about having to dismiss great employees because, “things change”. They probably do worry that – maybe, this time, the miracle won’t come. I can only imagine the demons that taunt him and tempt him to – not believe.

How does one gain this power to believe and create miracles? I really want to know. I want to become a “believer”.

I want to learn how to have the “right stuff.”