Simone - West Jordan, Utah

My Sisters

“True heroism is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost.” – Arthur Ashe

I believe that a hero is someone who is selfless, driven and genuine. I believe that a hero is someone that doesn’t have to be far away in order for you to recognize these qualities. My two heroes are close enough that I call them my sisters, my hearts, and my better halves. Jenna S*** and Sarah H*** are both my heroes because they are true to themselves and have supported me in the trails and tribulations I have been through.

Jenna S***is one of my heroes because she has always been there for me, at times even before I have had to ask. In the past I have had some personal issues where I have felt completely alone. Jenna, being who she is, caught on. She tried to help and when she realized things were bigger than she could handle, she got help. She went with me to see a counselor and has stuck beside me ever since. Jenna has always been the one – any team – to have the most heart. Even though she had her collarbone broken this year in preseason, it didn’t break her spirit, it only made it stronger. She has been to every game and is still bringing the intensity and radiating the desire she once put onto the field. I had a few wristbands made that have her number, 10, on it to remind those that are closest to her that we play for the one that cannot. Jenna knows who she is and keeps to her morals. Being in high school, with pressures daily, it’s hard to keep one’s morals and beliefs. Nothing has gotten in the way of Jenna’s dreams that she hasn’t been able to overcome. She is the closest person I have ever had to a sister and she has taught me so much about life and becoming what I want to be as opposed to someone others want me to be.

Sarah H*** has always been my hero since I was in the fourth grade, when we first met. Sarah has always been there for me, even when she was away at college and playing professional soccer in Sweden. Sarah has been like a big sister to me and in a way has helped raise me. Sarah has taught me how to love who I am, what I do and how to change the odds of who I will become. Through months of coaching Sarah has given me confidence on and off the field. She is the voice in the back of my head providing words of wisdom and encouragement. Sarah has never given up on me when coaches and others have. She has become a support system, a sister and a source of unconditional love. Sarah is my hero and role model because no matter what I know she is always going to love me and support me in whatever I choose to do with my life.

The ones that I consider heroes are the ones closest to me. The ones that know what I am going to say before I say it and the ones that have been with me through difficult times. With Jenna it feels like we have grown up together which gives each other the feeling that at times we know each other better than we know ourselves. With Sarah I have grown up with her. She has set an example from day one on how to keep your composure and how to love the skin I am in. Both girls have helped me find out who I am today and have supported me even when I didn’t.