alejandro - imperial beach, California

What is more valuable than keeping your life safe? I believe that prevention plays a very important role during cases of natural disasters. The recently fire situation that affected the southern region of California showed us through out the 48 continued hours of news how the community worked together to partially solve this situation. A lot of towns and houses were devastated as consequence of the fire; therefore millions of dollars were lost on architectural structures, as well as some other beings like expensive cars.

The southern community worked together to prevent any kind of bigger disaster. Fight fighters, police officers, volunteers and affected people worked hard to prevent life catastrophes, thousands of people were evacuated from their houses and businesses that were in risk, no matter how low or big the risks was, and were accommodated in different evacuation centers. A lot of people suffered of huge losses, and a lot of people did not. However, they were all preventing, preventing their lives. A person can lost any material thing, no matter how big it could be, but what is more important rather o maintain yourself person and the ones you care about safe. Maybe I am saying this because I am not on this situation. I was not affected at all from the fires, just some days off of work and whole week of school classes canceled. And then I imagine myself on that situation,

evacuating my house losing “everything” maybe I would not want to get out of my house. It is too difficult to be ethical on these decisions. But looking with a point of view in which life depends on it, all the ethical and moral issues fall apart, so I think that the most logical decision could be to save whatever you can, the most important and valuable things you have and then just evacuate and save your life.

Finally, prevention, the anticipation of needs, wishes, hazards and risks, precaution these simple but difficult actions that in critical moment can save our lives, are too important for human life. Preventing is one of our daily decisions, sometimes in bigger circumstances than others but always anticipating for our benefit.