Music as a Mandatory Class in School

Geyo - Williamsburg, Virginia

Music impacts everyone one way or another. It affects what kind of person he/she may be or become. Not only does it contain value in everyday life, it also contains much value in the field of education. Music teaches several subjects at once such as math, science, history, literature, and art. It can also impact society and integrate it as well. Music should be mandatory in class because of its abilities to teach people all several subjects while teaching something new that has an everyday effect on life at the same time.

Music is an art. Like literature, it possesses several genres. Some of these include metal, rock, jazz, country, rap, hip hop, rhythm and beat, techno, pop, and classical. Also, just like each artist has their own taste and critics in paintings, people have their own taste in music. As a musician I know several genres of music and know how to play in most of them. However, I have always had a desire to learn more in each style of music and expand my creativity.

In addition to the fact that the average everyday human can use it, science lovers can use it to their advantage. During my junior year in physics class, I was told to design an instrument that had at least five different pitches. I was able to construct an instrument consisting of ten rubber bands and an empty tissue box. I used my knowledge of the relationship between frequency and pitches to form a scale in the key of A.

Along with physics, music has its own use in math. One important factor of music is rhythm. In order to produce consistent flowing music, certain amounts of beats must be met. Beats can be played as fractions of that as long as they all add up to four beats. Not only does music expand logic in math, it combines it with creativity too. When I started to begin composing songs for pleasure, I used a combination of notes with fractions to develop catchy and rhythmic melodies. They ranged from simple melodies to sophisticated and syncopated solos. The combinations were virtually endless.

Music has many uses in life. If there was no music, several ways of life would be missing, and diversity among the people would be significantly less. Fields of science would be undiscovered. Several emotions in people will not be able to be expressed. This is why I believe that if people were more educated in music, they would benefit in several academic levels. The world would be a better place with more music.