Riley - Centerville, Ohio

During anyone’s life one grows and matures using life experiences, whether the experience is a good one, or a bad one. I believe that hard times change people and make them stronger. I think that when someone goes through something very difficult they will grow from it, learn from it, and hopefully take that experience with them through the rest of their life. Within my own life I know this is true. Over this past summer my mother and father split up. It’s been pretty tough on me, but I think I have come out of it a stronger and better person.

My mom and dad are good people, but like everyone else they have there flaws. I always thought our family would always be together. I thought we were a strong and loving family. I never saw my parents bicker and fight with each other, at least not more then most people would. But some things have to change and that is what happened. My dad moved into an apartment and my mom and I live in the house. I live with my mom because I know she needs someone to be there for her. I know that me being here to talk helps her, she is having a rough time and I like to think that maybe I’m making a difference. As a young adult it’s hard to understand what they are going through are how hard it is for them. So I try not to say anything about it and pretend everything is normal. It is hard, but after awhile I started to feel better, it didn’t hurt as much to think about it. I felt stronger, emotionally.

For a long time I thought that maybe it was my fault, maybe it was something I did. I could have stopped it, should have fixed it, should have changed what I did, maybe that would have made it all better. Lord knows I don’t help my parents out with my grades and the other things I do. I know they get grief wondering if I’m going to get into college and how I’m going to turn out. Of course I was told it wasn’t my fault, but I don’t doubt that im partially at fault in this situation and it makes me feel upset.

After a few months of all this I am starting to feel stronger. I think this experience, though very hard to go through, will help me later in life. It has helped me grow in more then one way. I believe that tough times make you a stronger, better person. Life is only one experience after the next, and the only way you will ever make it through life is if you take those experiences and apply them.

By Riley Chillinsky