Olivia - Centennial, Colorado
Themes: equality

This I believe: Age is a good thing!

Age is not just a number. Age is so much more than that. The more years I have the luckier I am. Each year a person has to their life is a blessing, and something everyone should be grateful for. Nowadays, once people hit forty they start complaining about how old they are and how they wish to be young again. The only reason people want to be younger is because they don’t like looking old. Well looking old is just another phase of life, and it happens to everyone, no matter how much plastic surgery you get. You can’t run from it so get over it. That’s how I think of it. Some people die before they get to grow up and experience the wonders of life and wrinkly skin. You know how everyone has that one person in their family that is so old that you wonder how they can even function. Well mine is my great-grandma who is a grand total of ninety-four years old. One day I asked her if she’s ever lonely or misses all of her dead family and friends. She answered that she had experienced a wonderful life; full of good memories and special people and that she didn’t regret anything. She still lives every day to the fullest, even though she’s practically falling apart. Age should not be a reason to stop doing things. No matter how old someone is, they should still have fun and appreciate the fact that their life has been so long. It isn’t fair when people say they want to be young again because they have so much more than we kids have. You all have your life, memories, experiences and don’t forget love, which can only be gained by age. We kids are just waiting to be so lucky to live to see our adult years and all the improvements that come with them. Some of us kids won’t see our futures. But for those of us who do I hope that we can learn to love our age and our years and not be ashamed of how old we are. Age is a great thing, the older you are, the wiser and better you are. I wish people wouldn’t be ashamed of their age. Instead they should be proud that they made it through all the challenges they have had in their lives. Age should not be defined as a bad thing. Older people can do most of the same things that young people do. They can have as much or more fun than us young people because they have the freedom of knowledge and the plain freedom that we kids don’t have. Older people completely beat out younger people in a sense, because they have so much more than we do. So appreciate every year of life you have because each year you have is worth more and more. This I believe.