Mercer - Rye, New Hampshire
Themes: question

I believe in observation, and constantly questioning your surroundings. I believe in saying what I think, and acting how I feel. I believe that it is ones nature and necessary to question everyday life. Throughout time it is easy to realize that man has gained more knowledge, by being curious and questioning everyday life. I believe the outcome of every situation will always be successful if one says how he feels, and speaks from his heart. Throughout ones life it is necessary to question what goes on because of the fact that there will always be endless possibilities or endless answers to respond to your question. Another aspect of acting on how you feel is the idea or thought process of philosophy. Philosophy is defined as: the discipline concerned with questions of how one should live (ethics); what sorts of things exist and what are their essential natures (metaphysics); what counts as genuine knowledge (epistemology); and what are the correct principles of reasoning (logic). I believe a philosopher is found through everyday life, and everyone.

This summer my best friend Kyle and I would sit up in his attic above his old antique house and talk about life, and question what went along with it. At that time I began my journey as a philosopher. Kyle’s attic added much to our conversation. It was an old attic maybe from the 16th hundreds, so old the walls were made of horse hair. The ground was made of cold dark wood that supported the random junk that fulfilled it. As we would talk we would start on a little topic, and later it would escalate into a deeper more idealistic topic. Often our topics would be us stating how everything in life has a purpose or a destiny, and how everything happens for a reason. We believed that every living organism affected the outcome and structure of the world, and possibly even the universe. From there Kyle and I began to think about our own destiny, and what our possible future would be. What was are part in the world?

It was in the attic where Kyle and I found a passion that we believe could makeup our life, and help our pursuit for happiness. We began by talking about what we could do with our favorite passion surfing. We came to the conclusion that we wanted to create a coffee shop, and surf shop on the coast of a surfing culture. We wanted this shop to be nothing like an ordinary shop though. We would have meetings at night about philosophy, and life. I would learn how to shape boards and we could sell boards out of the shop. It would be more then a shop, it would be a community. This community would support any form of free thought, and devote itself to the journey of philosophy. I believe that a dream if pursued will lead one to happiness, and open new doors to a life where much can be found.

The times in the attic spent with Kyle made me think about life on a much higher level, and gave me a better understanding of the often asked question Why. The attic made me question what I truly believed in and helped me come to the conclusion of what I wanted to know about myself. I learned that I believe in reason, and questioning it.