Cara - Columbus, Ohio

She always told me I was the “strong one.” On a day-to-day basis, my mom is scared to be by herself and to go into certain places alone. My mother drives to work talking on her cell phone for one particular thing, comfort. Growing up I had a completely different opinion about my mom, I always thought she was selfish and didn’t consider us children. But after accepting the truth, I have realized she is my hero and I hope that one day I’m as strong as her. We lived in a small town where everyone knew each other, Ernest Tubb played on the radio and everyone went to the same church where my grandpa was the preacher. Even though we loved living there, we couldn’t stay because my father left mom with no choice but take us children and leave. I held it against mom for a long time, until I really understood what leaving my dad meant to her.

It was at my graduation in June of 2005 when it hit me. My family was there supporting me with big smiles and tears in their eyes. After the ceremony, we went to a pizza shop on campus to eat. My father and his wife didn’t socialize or even smile while we were there. They just gave me a card with money said, “Good job” and left. Although it wasn’t out of the ordinary for him, I was extremely disappointed. Everyone else wanted to know where I was going to college and what I wanted to do with my life, while he could care less. I cried and went about my day, because that’s what it was, MY day. When I came back to the table where my family was, I saw a sad look on my mother’s face. To me it was same old dad, but to my mother it was hard to see my father not care about me. She was there for me my whole life in good times and bad. She gave me everything she had and more. I realized even though I’m used to him not caring, it will always hurt her. It was about more than leaving the one who abused us; it was also about giving us the best life she possibly could.

My mother took a huge step in her life becoming a single mom, starting her life over, moving away from her home and her husband to better all of our lives. She did the right thing and I thank her for it. Not only did it take courage and strength, it took a lot of hope. I have realized life is what you make it and not to settle with the easy way out. Life is about being happy and making the right decisions. My mother is the most amazing person I have met and is my best friend. Only a mother can do something that requires that much strength. This is why I believe in Mom.