Yannick - Centerville, Ohio
Themes: work

Work hard to be successful, this I believe.

When I was young and in elementary school in Germany, I didn´t care about my grades. When I sat at school, I was the only one who interrupted the teacher or who was lost in my own world. I just cared about the newest technology and often prefered to play with my friends than to sit in my room and learn for the next test. Today the world has changed for me. My parents were the people who helped me to find the right way. My mother always had to force me to do something for school. At the time I didn´t recognize how she just wanted the best for me and I even hated her for this attitude. As I grew older my attitude towards my education started to change. I began trying my best in everything and to become the best student in class. I enjoy the moments when I come home and have a good grade, because I always know that my family will be proud of me.

In Germany the students will be seperated after the fourth school year in three different school-systems. It always depends on a student´s achievement where he or she is allowed to go. My teacher was of the opinion that I wasn´t good enough to attend the school with the highest expectations, but my parents convinced the teacher, because they knew that I could reach a lot with hard work. My first test on my new school was the turning point of my attitude. In this test I got a D- and was afraid of my parent´s reaction during the whole school day. But their reaction was different than I had expected. They told me it would be my own life which I was throwing away. At this point my life changed. I started to recognize how foolish I had been to think I could reach everything without doing anything. It was like an enlightenment which suddenly arrived out of nothing.

As a result I started to do all my homework, study for all my tests and concentrate during the entire schoolday, I started to become better and better and last year I was the second best student of all students at my school in my age.

I also made the decision to go over the line from a normal education. I decided to make an exchange year in another country. I came to America to educate myself about a new life, about new people and about a new culture.

Now I am here looking back in my past and I can say I wouldn´t stand here without my change, my choice to work hard for my success of alternatives and acceptance.