Molly - Seaford, Delaware

Life is a roller coaster and it is our beliefs that keep us connected to the tracks. Those who have strong positive beliefs that influence their actions and choices will thrive in life, while those with weak beliefs will not have foundation to build their lives upon. I believe that everything in this world happens for a reason, even if that reason is not apparent at the time. My belief has helped me learn from my mistakes, recover after the negative experiences, shape my life, and cultivate my goals for the future.

There have been several instances in my fifteen years that I cannot explain nor understand. I do not know the reason why my father was born with clinical depression and later committed suicide. I cannot comprehend why my beloved horse, my partner of four long years, contracted a disease that she may never recover from. Just a few days ago, my tooth was dislodged after being struck by a field hockey ball and I am unable to explain why I deserved this fate. The only thing I am certain of is that these painful experiences occurred for a reason. My father’s death has caused me to have more knowledge about mental health diseases and to be more aware of the signs of personal anguish. As heartbreaking as it is to watch the first horse I ever own deteriorate in front of my own eyes, I can be comforted by the fact that there is a reason that she will have to be retired. This incident has taught me to value the special animals in my life and has made me a better horsewoman. Almost losing a tooth because of a field hockey ball has taught me and my teammates the importance of a mouth guard.

I have always seen myself as an optimistic person and it is this characteristic that has allowed me to support this belief. My mother, being the wonderful teacher that she is, was the one who told me after my father passed that every event in life happens for a reason. After realizing that his death made me a stronger and more mature young woman, I wholeheartedly allowed my belief to grow. This belief gives even the little experiences in daily life meaning and is the answer to any grief I may possess. I am able to accept the unfortunate and the fortunate experiences with a positive outlook, knowing that everything has a significant and life-changing consequence. Life is a journey and we should enjoy every event and the reasons why they occur.