Ryan - Dayton, Ohio

The Life of a Hug

Hug is a three letter word for “I don’t know you well enough to be this close to you,” this I believe. As kids, we are embarrassed, as adults we don’t mind it, and as elderly individuals, that’s all that comes from us. We just feel the need for more people in our lives to keep us from feeling alone in the end.

We start off in life receiving our very first hugs from our moms. The nurse cradles the infant child until it is placed in mother’s hands. Her love is swept into the child through a hug. Which is where we begin to grow. As we get old, the hugs decline. From the soccer games, to late nights studying, nowhere is room for a quick hug or two. Its like water hitting rock. Over the years, you may not see much change, but in the end, its different. If you lacked that tenderness, in the end you’re the rock.

As adults, we continue to hug our families. As we get even older, we continue on to our husbands or wives, children and grandchildren, and distant relatives and friends. We wish we could just collapse all of the strains of work and hours of pain into someone else that knows nothing about us. But instead, we put up a face to the world to hide what we really feel inside. We act like we don’t need a hug because everything is perfect. We walk through the halls with such confidence that no one even thinks to ask. When really all we’re crying out for is the last thing you would think we needed.

And then finally we get put into the elderly category, which is the most intelligent. By this time in life, we have finally learned that we’re all in this life together. So we might as well try and make the most out of it. We think back to the “good-ol days” and remember every detail. The first kiss, the first wedding, the first child, the first steps, and the first hug. We remember all of them. We all soon figure out that a hug always represented so much more than we could have imagined. A way to show acceptance and unification as one. A way to show how the water doesn’t always change the rock. A way to show that there is always room for a hug in between soccer practice and homework. Then in the last second, we wish that maybe we had given more hugs to those other than our families, just so we wouldn’t feel alone in the end.