Rebecca - Kent, Ohio

I believe I can do anything I want. At the age of 10, I had an interest in theatre. I wanted to direct my own play. I wrote a script, held auditions, rented the local opera house, and directed and acted in a production called, “to Egypt and Back.” The local Red Cross chapter matched all proceeds from the production, and I sent them to the Oklahoma City bombing victims.

Every step of the way, someone was telling me “no.” First, people said no one would act in my play. When I auditioned and cast 10 actors, people said I would never be able to find a location. When I wrote a letter to the local opera house asking to rent the space, they laughed at my letter. I suppose they had never rented the stage to a 10 year-old before. I convinced them to allow me to rent it and signed off on the contract with my parents. To every “no you can’t” I replied, “yes, I can.”

After a summer of intense rehearsal, scenery construction, and marketing/fundraising efforts, the show went on. I was able to raise almost $2,000 for the bombing victims. Not to mention, I was interviewed twice on the radio, five times on the news, and appeared in at least a dozen newspaper articles.

After the production closed, I began my school year. Within my first week of school, there was an assembly. Everyone was called to the auditorium, and the mayor was there. He told the story of my summer and concluded by calling on me to come down from my seat. He proceeded to present to me an official proclamation naming a day after me in our town. I got my very own official day…Becca Day.

From that point on, I knew that no matter how many times I am told “no, you can’t,” I know that “yes, I can.” I have always lived by this principle. Once I decide what it is that I want to accomplish, I accomplish it. I do not settle, and I do not accept no for an answer. I know that I can do anything I want to do.