tom - USA

Tsz Keung Eng 11/7107

LA Personal Essay

“Hard Work always pays off”

Have you ever felt good after accomplishing a goal? I’ve learned that hard work always pays off. I’ve developed this idea from a few of experience in my life. This idea really helps me with my life especially school work. When you give a lot of effort on work; I knew the result would always be good because you put a lot of effort into the work. If you don’t trust me you could try it on your own. Working hard really means a lot to me. It always works for me. Well, anyway here is an example of hard work pays off. It is one of my experiences in my life.

The first experience that I am going to talk about is a bet with my dad. My dad is always serious abort schoolwork and my grades. When I was in the beginning of fourth grade, my dad asks me what my goal is for the year. I replied “ My goal is to try and get an A average in all of my subjects” Then my dad laughs at me because I was always lazy in school. In school, I was always staring at the ceilings and wall, and my mind was always wondering around at some other places. And I don’t think that schoolwork is that important. Therefore, I didn’t always do my homework. In the third grade, I got B and C averages for my report card for the entire year. Then he said if I got an A average on one of my subjects this year I can have my own computer that I always wished for. If I got a computer I can play those cool video games that I saw in the T.V. and I can go to the Internet to chat with my friends. So we have a little bet. I decided to work hard to get an A average on one of my subjects in order to get my computer.

During, the entire fourth grade I did all my homework, which I am proud to say. My mom always helped me to study for my tests whenever I have one and my homework. Therefore, I always got 90s on all of my tests on all of my subjects. And I have a pretty good feeling that I am going to got an A average on one of my subjects. At the day where we finally get our report card, I am really excited. Once I look at my report cards, I was really proud of myself because for math I got an A and for S.S I got an A too and for the other subjects I got Bs and B+s. This means that I won the bet. So I went home happily and showed my report card to my parents. As they promised, I got a new computer.

My second experience is about when I was learning the multiplication tables in third grade. My memory was terrible back then. In math, my math teacher Mr. Johnson told us seriously that “THE MULTIPLICATION TABLES WILL BE THE MOST IMPROTANT MATH YOU WILL EVER LEARN IN YOUR LIFE” He was a tough teacher. His tests and homework are always harder than other math teachers. And it is very difficult to get an A. I wasn’t so sure about what he said because it is just numbers multiply numbers. I barely past all of my tests in math. Like I said I have a terrible memory and I wasn’t joking. So my parents tried to help me with my math.

My dad was very good in math. He was a great helper. Even now when I have a math problem that I don’t understand, I would ask him about it. He told me to memorize one at a time and don’t be scared because there are so many numbers. It will be very useful and it will help you in math. As always I started with the easiest one. I started from the ones. Once I got the idea of anything multiply by one it is going to be itself the ones became easy. For the others they didn’t have any tricks to memorize it. After, I studied hard for every day and one month later my parents tested me and I could answer all of them. I felt very proud. And for the rest of the year I got 90s on all of tests and I improved a lot. Even though I didn’t believe Mr. Johnson I noticed that the multiplication tables really helps me on math. Now, math is a piece of cake to me.

Well, like I said hard work really pays off. At first, I was all lazy in school. Finally, at the end I work hard and improved a lot. Also, I hope you don’t have to learn this lesson the hard way like me. I hope that this lesson really helps you in life just like me. Thanks for reading my story.