Rochelle - Dayton, Ohio

Yes, sometimes they are right.

Parents. The very people who brought us into this world. Although they seem nice and loving at times, this only occurs when we do our chores and finish our homework. But, we all know that parents have a downside to them. In two words, a single teenager’s life could be destroyed… you’re grounded. That’s right. All your weekend plans you’ve been waiting for is gone, flushed, effaced from your memory. They may say they love us, but is this true? Do they think that taking away our phones, computers, television, friends, and our freedom serves as a proper punishment?

Although they seem evil, I believe parents aren’t always wrong in the decisions they make. I came to this conclusion in the summer of 2001. It was a bright summer day, the house was clean, summer homework was done, and moms work was only half a mile away. My parents have always told me to be safe and to wear a helmet while riding my bike. Later I would learn that my parents decision would save my life. I would always ride me bike to my moms work with my older brother. But something didn’t seem right about our usual bike ride that day. Maybe it was the fact that I forgot my knee pads, or maybe it was because I hesitated to put my helmet on. Whatever it was, I had a gut feeling that something was wrong. When we arrived to my moms work, she told us to go get some lunch. Burger King was only 5 buildings down. This time I argued with my mom. I didn’t want to wear my helmet, but having the parent privileges that she is given, she threatened to ground me. So I put it on with the expression of me looking mad, but inside I felt a sense of safeness.

My brother and I started to race to Burger King; when out of an alley way came an SUV. My world went blank after that. When I woke up, I was on the ground, my brother was next to me, my helmet cracked in half, and the front bumper of the SUV was smashed. The accident caused me to get stitches, x- rays, and the 70% probability that I shattered my thigh. This made me trust in my parent’s decisions even more. If I made the mistake not to wear my helmet, I wouldn’t be here today. Sometimes it seems unfair, but they do know what’s right for their children. Although it seems as our human rights are being taken away from us by the practice of cruelty and unusual punishment, we should acknowledge the 5th commandment of honoring thy father and thy mother. The decisions they make for us today, can help us tomorrow. Yes, even if you don’t want to hear it… sometimes they are right.