Turi - Portland, Oregon
Themes: death

“Life is Temporary”

I was only five or six years old, but I remember it vividly: Those nine months singing and reading to my soon-to-be sister. It seemed silly to most people, a person talking to a mother’s stomach as if the baby inside could actually hear, but I knew she could, and though I’d never seen her, we were close. I knew, because she’d kick every time I spoke to her.

That’s why it hurt so much when she died….

That event is what made my mind believe what it does, that life is temporary. Maybe I’m in denial, still, about her death, or maybe my thoughts have some truth. Still, now, I think about it, my thoughts have lead to questions, my questions to conclusion: Life is temporary.

My reasoning is; why else would we die willingly? Something has to soothe the soul. Some knowledge we don’t know still living. People are very fearful of death, I’ve realized, and everybody fights it, to some point, before letting them selves go. “But why do they…?” I’ve questioned, and the answer for me is that there’s something…somewhere else we go and somehow we know right before we die.

Maybe you’re wondering “and what does this have to do with your sister…?” Well, simply this, I want to know she’s okay…happy. To know all that time I spent on her was for a reason. That maybe her soul still knows me on some level. That just maybe her body didn’t get to grow here, but her spirit does somewhere else.

I believe life is just a stepping stone, a way to wizen up before moving on. Like…crossing a bridge to get to that apple orchard you’ve been longing to pick from…like your version of heaven.

I believe death is supposed to be scary, but not feared and not thought of as grim. Because I believe life is temporary, I’m not scared of moving on, leaving all this behind. Don’t get me wrong though, I’m not eager to go, either.

This I believe: Life is temporary and in the end, it won’t be the end, just the beginning of something greater. Thanks to Crystal Rose, my sister, who though she may or may not know this, showed me a whole new view on life. All this, I believe.