Kelli - Centerville, Ohio
Themes: hope

Faith and hope can get you through anything in life. This I believe. When I was a kid, life seemed wonderful, everything was sunshine and flowers, watching the clouds go by, everyday like the summer kind of world. Nothing could break me. Faith has always been an important part of life. My family went to church every Sunday morning, and my sister and I attended a Catholic school for 8 years. Needless to say, it was engraved into our heads all about faith, and religion and God. I never realized how important my faith was until the day my grandpa died.

My grandpa was the most amazing guy you would have ever met. Anyone who knew him loved him. He always had a story to tell and he could always keep my secrets. Whenever I went to my Grandparents house, he always acted like we hadn’t seen each other in years, greeting me and my sister with the greatest hugs you could ever get. The kind you can still feel years later. That’s what I loved about him. We always had to have ice cream whenever we went to their house. I always got four bowls out for me and my sister and Grandma and Grandpa. Since I was the only one who would go out to the kitchen with him, he always gave me and him an extra scoop. I’ll never forget the little things like that.

When he died, I realized just how fragile life really was. My faith in God is what helped me find comfort knowing that Grandpa would be safe in heaven. When he died, I saw how vital a role God had in my family. My family prayed so much and so hard, and I saw that faith was what was pulling my family through.

Faith is, to me, like the weather. It’s like rays of sunshine that shine and you can always feel their warmth. It’s like the rain, because I believe that God is in the rain. It’s like the moon because it’s always there, even in your darkest hours.

Faith isn’t necessarily just a belief in God. Faith can be a belief in something else, anything else. When it seems like there is no hope left, you can lean on your faith to help pull you along and get by. It takes so much hope to have faith. And I think that’s what people really want and long for. Hope.