Emily - Lewes, Delaware
Themes: war

This I Believe!

I believe that war is not the answer to solving problems. What good have wars done? In my opinion, it does not solve problems, but just results in the murder of millions of innocent people. Often, even after a treaty is signed, the problem doesn’t just magically go away, it’s still there so thousands, or millions, of people have died for nothing.

Every time I hear on the radio and read in the newspaper about war taking away a person’s life, it makes my heart sink. I do not believe that fighting for your country means dying for it. What good would it do if everyone died for his or her country? I do not want to see countries filled with cemeteries.

Countries and nations go to war when they feel that there is no other way to resolve their problems. But that leads me to ask, why did we go to war in Iraq? Sure Iraq had some problems with its leader, big problems, but that did not give the United States the right to march in and destroy the country with the attitude that it’s okay if we kill a few innocent people here and there, just as long as we get rid of Saddam Hussein. As a result, hundreds of thousands of the Iraqi people have died, the very people we were supposedly there to help.

In this war, there is not even a peace treaty; the war is a never-ending battle, now it has become a battle against terrorists and insurgents. The moment I heard President Bush declare war with Iraq I knew it was a drastic mistake and there would be dire consequences. Our soldiers, who are supposed to be fighting to protect our country, are being killed, murdered, one being my friend’s cousin. I don’t even understand why our troops are still in Iraq.

Another reason I’m so strongly against war is that it has affected my personal life. War was responsible for the death of half my Grandpa’s family. In World War II, almost 50 million people were killed, plus more than 8 million murdered by the Nazis, with my Grandpa’s family included in that number. Because of war I will never get to meet or feel the love of all those aunts, uncles, and cousins.

War is not honorable nor proud, but disgraceful. I don’t understand why the leaders of countries want to go through all the bloodshed and mourning when all they should have to do is sit down together and discuss their problems to work them out. Perhaps they are too scared to do that. War just shows that the country is weak and has to solve their disagreements by violence and spilling blood instead of talking and working problems out. This, I believe.