Simone - San Antonio, Texas
Themes: courage

Simone Babineaux-Smith

November 12, 2007

You can’t depend on anyone!

The majority of the time you can’t depend on anyone but yourself. Many people have experienced first hand being let down by another person. One such occurrence comes to my mind.

My boyfriend’s father (Stu) is a truly extraordinary man. He defends and serves our nation in the U.S. Army. He recently returned back from a tour in Iraq. While on a convoy through the hostile city of Fallujah, the convoy was attacked by Al Queda rebels. The convoy consisted of ten Army vehicles. Rocket propelled grenades were fired into the first (Stu’s) and the last in order to entrap the soldiers.

The following are his accounts of the occurrence:

The truck filled with smoke and fire. There were only two soldiers left in the burning vehicle, Stu and Dan. The two soldiers began to take on heavy gun fire. They tried desperately to radio the convoy to no avail. Through the smoke he notices the remainder of the convoy leaving them behind.

Dan the soldier that was with Stu was shot in his leg. Stu decided to take charge and grabbed Dan so they could survive.

After running for a while, they noticed an old building on the horizon and headed toward it. Bullets wised by their heads as the twenty or so Iraqi men chased them. The two men reached the abandoned building which happens to be an old prison. They ran up on of the two gaurds’ towers and barricaded themselves in.

Shortly after they reached the tower, the Iraqis rained gun fir eupon the building. Stu was in a dilemma. Dan was bleeding profusely, darkness was abound, and they were on their last clips of ammunition. Stu makes the life or death decision to jump, but Dan was to sure about jumping out of the 3 story tower. Stu convinced Dan that if he stayed he would die. They ended up jumping. Dan broke his leg and Stu messed up his back and broke his nose. Dan was in no condesion to walk, so Stu through Dan over his shoulders and ran.

After a few 100 yards, they stopped and turned around to see the tower being ravished with the lights from the bullets being inflicted upon it. The two traveled another five miles were they high jacked a vehicle and returned to the base.

This story supports the saying that you can’t always rely on others or if you want something right do it yourself. The only one that will truly look out for you, is you! Dan was the lucky few to be able to depend on someone else.