Lindsay - Huntersville, North Carolina

I believe that the world is full of marshmallows.

I’ve always been a happy person. From the time I was born, I’ve had a smile on my face. My father tells me that I believe the world is full of marshmallows; yet, he and others also like to remind me that the world is not full of marshmallows, nor is the world simply a beautiful place full of glistening happiness. They think I ignore reality. But, the truth is, I do not ignore reality. I face reality – I think; I choose; I act.

I know that sadness touches this world – today, millions of lives are smothered in unfortunate circumstances, crime, and sickness. However, these circumstances do not define the world in which we live. As Francis of Assisi stated, “All of the darkness in the world cannot extinguish the light of a single candle.” Joy, goodness, hope, faith, laughter, and love can be found in each moment of our lives. I believe that it is necessary to look for these moments – these marshmallows.

I believe that everyone has to search for their own marshmallows. Even in times of trouble – a marshmallow is somewhere just waiting to be found. This past summer when traveling to Paris, I found my own marshmallow in the midst of a dark day…

It was a long and tough journey. After a broken suitcase, a missed flight, and lost luggage, I was feeling more than a little disheartened. Dusk was setting over Paris, my one hour trip had turned into an eight hour journey of misfortune, and I was unsure of how to find my destination. So, I used my limited French to find the bus stop. Once I arrived at the stop, I waited. I ran up to each stopping bus to ask if it was going to my stop. Non. Non. Non. Thirty minutes had passed; the city was getting even darker and my day even longer. With feelings of despair, I wondered if I would ever find my way.

Then, the marshmallow arrived. A young woman came up to me and asked where I wanted to go. She noticed my grim situation and took time out of her day to help. She guided me onto the bus, helped me load my luggage, translated the bus fare to me, and sat with me for the journey. She even asked me about my life and offered to show me Paris. She opened her life to me; she reached out to a stranger without fear, reservation, or candidness. Amidst my day of misfortune, she shined as the marshmallow to remind me of the kindness and selfless love that exists throughout all of humanity.

That day and still today, she symbolizes the marshmallows I find daily. This woman illustrates how kindness serves as a light through darkness. I believe we should all live our lives with utmost faith in optimism. Otherwise, what are we living for?

In my opinion, we’re living for marshmallows.