Alexander - West Palm Beach, Florida

When I was about five years old, I believe I did not own a single action figure. I owned no sort of stuffed animals or any other of the toys that seem so popular among children these days. Instead, I had toys that consisted of large building blocks, legos, cardboard boxes, and art materials. Everyday I would come home after school and play with these relatively simple toys for hours on end, never once stopping because of boredom or lack of things to do with these toys. I believe in the power of imagination over material possessions.

From a young age, my mother and father were constantly amazed with how I was so satisfied with all of these simple toys. Like this one time when I was about 5 years old, my mother took me to the doctor’s office for a shot. Because she knew I hated shots, she said, “If you are a good boy at the doctor’s office I’ll buy you a toy.” Immediately after my doctors appointment my mother asked me what I wanted, and I replied, “The biggest box you can find.” That day my father came home from work with a cardboard box large enough to fit me and several friends inside. For the next two weeks, I had friends coming over everyday to play in this box with me. Whether we were pretending it was a spaceship or a house, it didn’t matter because we always managed to use our imagination to entertain ourselves. No material object could ever distract us, because this box provided us with an outlet to channel all of our desires, wishes, and dreams into.

Nowadays, it seems like kids would rather just have some kind of video game, action figure, or stuffed animal of some sort to play with. Its a shame that the youth doesn’t realize how much power the imagination really has, and all things someone can do with it. I believe that if children learned to rely on their imagination more than material objects, they would grow up to realize that it does not take material objects for a person to be happy. If adults could even realize how to fully utilize their imagination, they would not spend so much time in front of a television or computer, and start reading or having fun with their family. So the next time you see a child indulging in some sort of materialistic pleasure, or even an adult doing something of the same nature, just imagine how much more they would enjoy life if they just learned to realize how much a person can do just using their imagination.