Lisa - San Antonio, Texas
Themes: love

Absence makes the Heart Grow Fonder

My husband isn’t a rock star nor is he a famous actor, but one thing for sure is that his job is more important, he is an American Soldier. There is something special, about a soldier and his wife, holding hands for the last time, before their departure, and it’s their love for one another. I am proud to be married to this man,, but when its time for deployments my heart feels so weak. Many nights, weekends and months, has made our love stronger for each other. I strongly believe that absence makes the heart grow fonder. My life isn’t easy, sometimes it’s not fun but the hardest part is missing my husband, who devotes his life for this country.

When my husband first told me that he has to deploy, it was the most terrifying thing I have ever heard, and as his wife, I did not show any emotion, but deep inside my heart was crushed. I remember the day before our departure, constantly following him to every part of the house and making sure he was ok and didn’t need anything. That night before, I caught myself starring at him while he slept, and thinking to myself, “Can our newlywed hearts survive this obstacle?” Sure enough, I found myself crying alone at the air port, watching my husband walking away with his wingmen. Those 180 days were the hardest days of my life. I lived in a house all by myself, and sure I had family but its nothing like your husband, your soul mate (the one who will finish my sentences). There were a few phone calls, and waiting for the mail man to past, was my joy of the day, even though the letters wouldn’t be long, anything from him was like a kiss. The greatest part about saying “goodbye” was the day you would hear his “hello” and see him returning at that airport. The feeling was amazing it was like getting that one Christmas present you’ve been asking for the past year! I’d pointed him out of the crowd so fast and gave him the greatest hug ever, a hug that had to wait 180 days! Many families that also dealt with this departure of their life, were forgetting the lonely nights and birthdays, but just rejoicing their hearts with the one they love.

Now we live everyday as if he were deploying tomorrow. So you could say, we aren’t you average married couple. One thing I know for sure is that the bond between my husband and I, is the most precious thing about our marriage. And getting through this deployment makes me feel that we are able to accomplish any departure in our life. This is why I believe that absence makes the heart grow fonder.