April - Newark, Ohio

I believe in the goodness and positive intentions that dwell within the hearts of mankind. Many people believe that all hope for peace among the human race is lost. They fear that nations are far too corrupt from war and hatred in order to regain their shattered pieces of solace. Some individuals only see the fear and pain that shadows the globe, without looking at the brighter, mirthful side of all that mankind is capable of bringing. By opening one’s eyes to the nakedness of sin, a greater truth lies patterned beneath – the certainty being that kindness still dwells within our human race.

I did not always have a great respect, or hope, for the people around me. I remember walking casually through the halls of high school, and people I didn’t even know would approach me and call me a loser, push and shove me, or make fun of me for the sweater I had on just because it wasn’t the type of outfit other girls were wearing. They didn’t even know me, and yet they judged me harshly.

Sulking in my solitude for years after the harassment in school first started, I began picking up another habit. My new calling became writing. I indulged happily in the written word, and found symbols on paper to be my escape from sadness. I began writing fictional stories with characters that felt stupid and helpless, which was exactly how I felt against society. It wasn’t until I focused heavily on the characters that were cruel to the weak in my stories that I finally began to realize why some people are the way they are. I slowly began to make observations of my peers at school. I noted how the bullies acted, and tried to pinpoint reasons why they acted the way that they did. In most of my studies, I discovered that those that caused the most horrendous pain were also enduring pain of their own. From this revelation, I was finally able to open my eyes and, with sympathetic understanding, face the world despite all its terror and greed. I am glad that I took that courageous leap, for since then I have lived a better life – a life full of understanding and never-ending discovery.

I will not say that my life has not since had any difficulties. I must mention, however, that with an optimistic change in attitude, I was and am still able to take risks and experience life, instead of always hiding behind closed doors. College was that large leap for me. By seeing the goodness in others, I am able to see the goodness in myself. Everyone hits a bump in the road sooner or later, but it is the way they tackle their hardships that determine how well the day will pass. With these thoughts, human kind can flourish and prosper. All it takes to surpass the darkness in life is to hold on tightly to the light. And in this, I strongly believe.