Jeff - Jupiter, Florida

I believe in music.

I credit this to my mom, who used to sing me The Beatles’ “In My Life” to put me to sleep every night. In Pre-K, the only time I wasn’t throwing a tantrum to the point of vomiting was when we sang songs. But it was in 1st grade, that I began my personal journey in music.

I was living in Rhode Island for a 10 month spell. One night, my parents were watching an episode of Austin City Limits on PBS. I was attracted to the TV because the preceding commercial used the Beatles song that I was so acquainted with from my mother‘s voice. Then, I saw a man with a funny blue suit, a big hat with a feather sticking out the top, and a beautiful red guitar. I was entranced. The man was Stevie Ray Vaughan.

My parents noticed my enthusiasm and just that once, allowed me to stay up to watch. (It was already way passed my bedtime).

For the next two or so weeks, I couldn’t stop obsessing about Stevie and that guitar of his. I longed for one of my own. I went to the library and sought out as much musical information as I could.

Finally, the day came. I walked into Wakefield Music with my dad on October 26, 1997. We must have been there for three hours. They had a red one like Stevie’s but it was just too cumbersome for my wee six year old frame. I had to settle for the same model but in white. It was fine by me though because in my preceding research, I found that Vaughan had a white one in his arsenal as well.

And so I embarked on playing music. It wasn’t easy at first. Like many aspiring musicians I thought it would be laughably easy. It wasn’t. Not by a long shot. But I stuck with it.

Over the course, I wooed my parents into buying me tons of CDs. I would lock myself in my room for hours and hours listening to the greats. If I wasn’t listening to music on the CD player or playing guitar, I was watching VH1. It’s for that reason that many of my favorite songs were hits in late 1997.

These were just the beginnings of my journey and not necessarily the most interesting. Music has taken me to places I would never dream of, but it‘s my belief that the roots of what we believe in and how we came to be there are what matter.

I feel a spiritual connection with music. Without it, as cliché as it sounds, I truly am nothing. The passion that music inspires is an emotion in and of itself. From the most fiery protest to the expression of a most embattled love, music can take me anywhere.

Of all of these friends and lovers, there is no one compares to music. And these memories of my first days with a guitar, will never lose their meaning. In my life, I love them all.