Jessica - Newark, Ohio

I Believe in Math

I believe in my love for math. Not all people can say they love to sit down for hours trying to come up with a solution for a problem, but it is something that I enjoy. Not only did math give me a solution for a numerical problem, but it also gave me hope and a solution for my psychological problems as well.

When I was in middle school, I was a below average student ranking near the bottom of my class. When my teachers saw my discouragement, they had me tested for learning disabilities. After several tests, they determined that I was mentally “slow.” This revelation shattered my self-esteem. It made me feel disappointed in myself and different from other students. My teachers would not let me take classes that I was capable of taking because I was labeled with disabilities. With my continued poor performance in my classes, I started to believe that I was incapable of doing anything in my life.

I did not always know that I had this passion for arithmetic. It was not until the seventh grade that I realized my true love for math. It was like everything just started to click. My inability to do math problems was conquered by my strive to succeed. Math problems that looked like difficult calculations before came easy to me. Some problems were not always easy but I loved the challenge. I would make up new ways to solve problems , one that made sense to me. I had an ability to see the answer, and fill in the steps to get there.

The fact that I knew I was good at math made me have a better attitude towards school. I wanted to show everyone that I knew the answers. Not only did I prove to others that I could do it, but I proved it to myself as well. It gave me a fulfillment that nobody in the world could take away from me. As a result, I wanted to perform better in school and math helped me do exactly that. I went from a C student to an A student in nine weeks. I believed that once I found my true passion I could do anything as long as I had determination. I know that without this love for mathematics, I would probably not be in college today. Since my seventh grade class, I have achieved almost all A’s in every math class I have taken and nothing below a B.

I believe I became a better student because of my love for math . I wanted to prove that I was not that mentally slow person I was labeled as, and that I was good at something. With every problem I accomplished came satisfaction and self-respect for myself. I started to see life in a different way. Math means to me that as long as I am determined, I can reach any goal I want to achieve. This I believe.