Sophia - Royal Palm Beach, Florida
Themes: disability

By observing people with disabilities and how they persevere through their conditions and pursue life we are shown the full capabilities of human potential. I have been an observer for 16 years now. Watching my 17 year old brother grow and thrive upon life for all that it has to offer despite his illness of apraxia, which has hindered his speaking capabilities. I have seen the strongest and most evident example of fighting through a supposed setback at its best. I believe that people’s disabilities eventually make them stronger and work to show others that anything in life really is possible; that there are no limitations upon what goals we can ideally reach as human beings, this I believe.

For example, although my brother suffers from apraxia he is the happiest, sweetest person I have ever come across in my life. Call me biased but I am not the only one that thinks it. My friends see it, my family sees it and occasionally the outside observer even sees it. The most immediate stereotype or thought about persons with disabilities is generally that they are gruesomely miserable and dreary but my brother is just the opposite of that. He lives life to its fullest. The simplest things make him happy from dancing to laughing to music. Also he puts everyone else first. Ironically, you’d think it would be the opposite; that he’s the one in need of immediate attention and although entitled to it he thinks otherwise. He’s stronger than that and virtually lacks self-pity, while embraces his disability to grow seeing things from a different and purer perspective. When I am complaining about what I need or have to do he’s taking it easy absorbing every detail and all of the beautiful things that life ultimately has to offer. He really LIVES life. His disability has empowered him to do so. It has shown the world that we have no excuse to not live and work to our fullest potentials. Thus disabilities make people stronger. This I believe, this I am sure of, this I live by. What people lack they tend to work harder at and eventually grow stronger. Our faults: our supposed “failures” are merely motivators, the driving forces that eventually show us what we really can achieve.