Izaura - San Diego, California
Themes: gratitude

I believe that the recent fires in San Diego taught us all a lesson. The fires of 2007 demonstrated to me how to cherish what I have, and to be grateful that I live next to the beach. The coastal breeze helped the smoke and fire go in the opposite direction. During the week my brother was called on duty to help evacuate people from their home that decided to not listen to the evacuation notices. At that moment I realized how life altering these fires have become. Before the fires I did not value my material objects, home, or family for that matter. When I noticed so many changes people endured during the fires I feared for the safety of others and of my own. When I came to school on Monday I did not take into consideration my health since I am an asthmatic. I have not had problems with my asthma in a while, for that I assumed that I could be okay going to class that day. When I arrived at school they informed me that it was cancelled for the week. On my way home I found myself having difficulty breathing, and slapping myself on the head for not listening. My mother was not to content with me since she advised me to not leave the house but as a young adolescent I brushed off her advice and left. After taking my medication to help me to breath I passed out from the exhaustion of how horrible my asthma had become. I awoke the next day looking pale, as if I was close to death, from that day I have become more cautious of my health and been keeping my breathing under control. Through out the week I spent most of my days in front of the television hoping that the fires would get quickly under control, along with that I kept wondering if my brother would appear on one of the news channels so I could know that he was safe. Once I was better my brother called to ask if we could take him clean uniforms. That day there was no one in the house besides my mother and I. that is when she asked if I could drive up to Escondido to take him clean clothes. Once we arrived we saw that he was fine and I felt a sense of relief during the past week of the fires I have learned multiple lessons that were, not taking things for granted, being more cautious of my health and valuing the everyday things in my life even though they mat be small. I believe that everything happens for a reason and the reasons may help you learn, either way you see the situation once being able to reflect upon it you think of what you truly value and learned during that time.