Nicole - San Diego, California
Themes: death, gratitude

Nicole Hunter

RWS 280

W 7:00-9:45

9/23/07

This I Believe…

The death of Life

I believe in the importance of human life. Suicide or the allowance of professional assistance with death should never be the answer to solving any of life’s overcoming obstacles. That was the obvious answer for me when I was in my time of suffering, but now I know that the answer to whether it is easy to stop the suffering by referring to methods that would immediately stop the pain is to receive help and simply give life a chance.

Euthanasia is a practice of ending a life so as to release an individual from intolerable suffering; generally to refer to an easy way out or painless death. In January of 2007, I became faced with Euthanasia for the first time and asked myself how important is the human life? During that month of suffering, which was worst suffering than in previous months, life took on a different meaning for me. I had been suffering from a mental illness since I was fifteen years old. The mental illness I am referring to is major Depression with insomnia. I have survived suicides, drug overdoses and more broken relationships than I could ever imagine.

I was wheeled into a hospital emergency room clinging to life. To my parents I was dead. I had overdosed on my new anti-depressants. My parents were so mad that they just accepted death for me even though there was a chance I would recover.

The odds of me living were slim but there was still hope; I was not completely dead in the doctor’s eyes. One doctor told my parents about Euthanasia and told them that my suffering could be ended painlessly and that I was practically dead already.

My parents were going to allow me to die. I am here today due to the brain activity I had and my age. Legally my parents had no say if I should continue with breathing tubes trying to live or just see how long I last and basically die. I had barely a heartbeat, but still amazingly my brain functionality was fine.

To this day, I do not know how I pulled myself back to the living. It was a miracle to the entire medical staff. My parents learned of my recovery and were shocked; they truly believed I was not coming back. When I was released from the hospital, I learned all of what happened to me when I was clinically dead to the world. This event gave me the opportunity to see that life is precious; you never know what can happen on the brink of death’s embrace.