Jeremiah - Suffolk, Virginia

Education is a subject that involves everyone from the humblest to the most

illustrious. Education is something to be cherished and not to be treated lightly—in fact,

one must cherish it and strive to receive as much of it as possible in order to get ahead in

our time. Currently, however, it seems to me there is a tremendous dearth of good

teaching in our schools and universities. What is the cause of this and how can we

remedy this situation? It is my belief that the problem started with taking God and His

wisdom (as found in the Bible) out of our schools and universities and replacing it with

the “wisdom” of men. The free expression of a Biblical faith such as praying freely has

also been infringed upon to a point that praying aloud in a public, and in many cases a

private, school is strictly prohibited. This current situation directly contradicts the

regulations that were lain down for institutes of learning by the founding fathers of this

country and its educational system, some four hundred years ago. Those regulations

mandated the Bible as a textbook and as such, an integral part of students’

educations. I was educated at home and am fortunate enough to have parents that believe

the Bible is still a relevant textbook. However, I was also well instructed in most fields

of study—including the classics of Greece, Rome, and Europe. The instruction I received

from regular study of the Bible greatly enhanced my reading of the classics as it

answered and explained the topics that the ancient philosophers battled with. The

Biblical wisdom I absorbed, starting in my childhood and continuing to the present,

enable me to both appreciate the incredible intellect God has given us and to see through

the smoke screens that we as people put up to disguise our ignorance in some matters.

I am eternally grateful to my parents for making the decision to sacrifice so much

of their time, their lives, and their resources to ensure that I received a well-rounded

education in all fields of study including religion.